Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Rangers

I always stop at the ranger station when I hike in a state park.  Sadly, budget cuts don’t allow for enough rangers to man all stations all the time.  There are four reasons why it’s important for me to talk to a ranger before I go for a hike.

Reason number four – I need to buy a parking pass.  I don’t visit the state parks enough to make an annual pass pay for itself and I never have the correct change to purchase a parking pass at the self-pay station.

Reason number three – The rangers know the trail conditions on that day.  I do a lot of hiking in the winter.  Trail conditions change daily sometimes hourly.
taken on Butler Lake trail

One sunny, warm February day I drove up to the Kettle Moraine State Park – Northern Unit.  I wanted to hike the Parnell trail.  The ranger told me that trail was icy.  I didn’t bring my cleats so the ranger recommended the Butler Lake trail.  It was a wonderful hike.  I made a point to thank her for that suggestion.

Reason number two – It’s good to let somebody know where you’re hiking.  I often make last minute decisions to go hiking and my cell stays in the car.  The point of the hike is to get away.  Luckily, I’ve never had anything bad happen on a hike but it’s good to know that somebody knows where I am in case anything does.

Reason number one for stopping in at a ranger’s station when I visit a state park -  Heated Bathrooms.

Pack out what you pack in.

No comments:

Post a Comment