Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Snow

I’ve lived in Wisconsin my whole life (except for 2 years in the Chicago suburbs, blog for another day) so I know all about snow.  The first snow fall of the season and the wet kind that clings to everything.  They’re beautiful.

No driving in the snow is not fun but hiking is.  Gander Mountain would love to sell you all sorts of gear for winter hiking.  You can hike safely in the winter without it.  Here’s how.

Dress in layers.  This is practical advice for anyone who hikes.  Especially wear a thick, long scarf.  It can quickly protect your face from wind and just as quickly be shed if the temperatures rise.

Wear good boots.  You can wear any pair of winter boots you have.  About 15 years ago, I paid $100 for a pair of hiking boots.  That was a lot of money for me to shell out but I’m glad I did.  I still wear them.  The treads are good, but the uppers are cracking.  I’m trying to get a couple more years out of them.

Four years ago I spent $15 on a pair of cleats that go over my shoes.  They’re awesome.  The cleats are only at the toe and take a struggle to put on but honestly it was the best 15 bucks I’ve ever spent.  It makes the icy patches less scary.

That’s all I take.  Really, that’s all you need.  Yeah, it would be nice to have a walking stick or snowshoes but they’re not completely necessary.

Hiking in the winter requires you to pay attention to the trail, even if you hike that trail every day.  Ice patches can develop anywhere.

You don’t have to spend a lot of money to enjoy all four seasons in the great outdoors.

Pack out what you pack in.

No comments:

Post a Comment