Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Overkill

Sometimes I wonder how the settlers survived without 24 hour weather channels.  I’ve been told for the last five days that an arctic cold front will come through.  As I write this it’s January in Wisconsin.  It’s going to get cold.  Duh.

I’ve never been a fan of the production we make over the weather.  Please don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the work a meteorologist puts into studying the science of weather.  As my past blogs show there is a lot to learn about weather.

Knowledge is a good thing.  Being beaten over the head with that knowledge is not.

The producers of news programming are just looking for ratings.  I get that, but I am tired of seeing reporters in front of salt piles every time it snows.

Would I be one of those who rides out a hurricane?  I don’t think so, but I don’t run to the grocery store to stock up on bread and milk every time the weather guy tells me a winter weather advisory will be in place next week Thursday.

It’s important to be safe.  That’s why I wouldn’t hang out in the middle of a hurricane.  And why I get to the lowest place of my home when the tornado sirens go off.  I slow down when I drive in the snow.  Common sense stuff.  Too bad the news folks can’t figure that out.

Pack out what you pack in.

No comments:

Post a Comment