Thursday, July 12, 2012

Clouds


Clouds are my favorite weather element.  The meteorologists have all sorts of long Latin names for the different kind of clouds.  I have four:  puffy, wanta touch, see through, and stormy.

The big white puffy clouds are great.  Lay back on a warm summer day and watch them roll by; there’s no better way to spend an afternoon.

Low clouds that look like you can reach out and touch them usually occur on cool fall or early spring days.  Sometimes they come before a storm.  They always have a cool ripple design.  It sometimes looks like waves moving across the sky.

See through clouds can sometimes be called Jacob’s Ladder.  Seeing the rays come to earth through the clouds always makes me think of God’s glory shining down to us.

Storm clouds can also be very interesting to watch . . . from the safety of your home.  One day I got home from work and decided to go for a walk.  It was about five in the afternoon a beautiful summer day.  My route was a circle.  I started traveling east.  I could hear rumblings behind me so I decided to cut the route short.  When I made the turn to go west back to my house I saw the storm rolling toward me.  My pace quickened.  The sky started to turn a green color and the clouds started to spin though no funnels formed.

I got to the house just as the tornado sirens went off.  I hunkered down in the lowest most interior room I had for about ten minutes very long minutes.

The tornados stayed away from my home that day.  That’s the closest I’ve ever been to a tornado.  After watching news stories of the damage they cause, I hope I never get any closer.

Pack out what you pack in.
 

Sources:

            Clouds by Trudi Strain Trueit, Franklin Watts, a division of Scholastic, Inc. © 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment