Thursday, October 18, 2012

Wind

Wind is my least favorite weather element.  I’m not a fan of walking in wind that creates a chill factor below 10°F.  Thankfully I have enough clothes to do it safely.

Layers are the key.  On a day with single digit temperatures I put on three layers.  I wear thermals, sweatpants, and windbreaker sweatpants on the bottom.  Long sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt and winter jacket go on the middle.  A pair of gloves and a pair of mittens over the gloves cover my hands.  Hat, scarf and a hood covers my head.  Pair of sweat socks and hiking boots belong on my feet.

It’s important of cover every part of your body.  I wear glasses and that makes covering my face a challenge.  Through trial and error, I’ve come up with a way to wrap the scarf around my face so my nose is free but my cheeks are covered. 

Walking with my back to the wind helps to keep me warm but I often do a circle trail so that means I’m going to face the wind at some point.  I try to walk the trail so I face the wind early in the walk.

The first half mile of any exercise program – running, biking, walking, and hiking – are always the coldest.  Until you heart rate goes up its just cold.  I prefer to have the wind hit my face during this time.

When I’m warm from hiking I don’t want the wind to hit my face and create a chill from cooling the sweat.  That’s the other reason I like to put the wind at my back at the end of my hike.

Of course, if you don’t like to go outside in such weather completely disregard this blog.

Pack out what you pack in.

 
Sources:

            World Book’s Library of Natural Disasters – Blizzards, © 2009

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment