Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Classification of Lakes

When I was researching lakes I picked up a very informative book at the library.  “Wisconsin Lakes” is produced by the Wisconsin Department of Revenue.  I had the version printed in 1995.  The first fifteen pages were so informative and where I got all this information.

In Wisconsin the lakes are classified by how the water gets into the lake.  There are four kinds.

Drainage lakes occur along rivers and streams because all their water comes from a nearby river.  The water drains into and out of the lake into the river.

Seepage lakes get their water from precipitation and from run off.  Their levels are dependent on the rain and snow that falls into the lake and its drainage area.  This is the most common lake in Wisconsin.

Spring lakes have ground water flowing up from the bottom of the lake.  These lakes usually are the head waters (start) of a river or stream.

Drained lakes get their water from precipitation and the water is constantly flowing out.  Although the book didn’t say where it was draining to.

This little pond is a seepage.
I thought it was interesting.  Streams create lakes and are created by lakes.  I never knew that before.

When I was a kid I lived on a spring lake.  The water levels were pretty consistent.  We never had water in our basement.  Maybe because we didn’t have a basement.

Next time I go to a lake I’m going to try and figure out what kind of lake it is.

Pack out what you pack in.

No comments:

Post a Comment