Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wild Flowers

I wrote before that I don’t know a lot about the flowers and trees that I see then I go hiking.  I usually research that when I get home but I did do a little research on wild flowers for this blog.

Marion Edsall in her book “Roadside Plants and Flowers” makes a very interesting point.  “Many of the wayside plants . . . are ‘aliens’ in the biological sense . . .”  They come from the “Old World” either on purpose or by accident.  It makes me wonder what was here before we of European decent invaded the land.

Ox-Eye Daisy
Another great book I checked out from the library gave a more in depth way of identifying the wild flowers you find on the trail.  “Wildflowers of Wisconsin” written by Stan Tekiela is very well organized.  Mr. Tekiela divides his book by color of flower, size of plant then by the appearance of the flowers (clustered, bell shaped, etc.).  He also looks at the leaf shape and how they are attached to the stem (opposite, alternately, etc.).

Both books were very informative but kind of heavy.  I wouldn’t have room for lunch on my backpack if I hauled them on the trail.  Yeah, you’re right I could get a bigger back pack or eat a smaller lunch.  But doing the research when I get home is more fun for me.  I stop every 20 feet to take pictures, which means it takes me about 45 minutes to hike a mile of trail.  It would take me an hour if I looked every plant up on the trail.

Whether you decide to lug books with you or do your research later doesn’t matter just get outside and enjoy the flowers.

Pack out what you pack in.

 
Sources:

Roadside Plants and Flowers by Marian S. Edsall; University of Wisconsin Press, Madison, WI; © 1985 Board of Regents UW System.

Wildflowers of Wisconsin:  Field Guide by Stan Tekiela; Adventure Publications, Cambridge, MN; © 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment