Thursday, May 9, 2013

Clean Lakes

When I was a kid my family went to a lake for a swim.  This lake didn’t have a sandy beach or a paved boat launch.  It was just a cool lake on a hot day.  We waded out, and I stepped on something sharp.  I panicked and screamed.  I’d cut the bottom of my foot on a beer bottle.  The cut wasn’t severe, but I was so embarrassed by how I overacted, and sad that we had to go back to a hot house too soon.

Clean lakes are so important.  Not just the water in them but the bottom and shoreline as well.  Trash, invasive plants and fish, and overdeveloping the shore are all causing damage to our lakes. 
 
There are all sorts of resources to help us keep our lakes clean.  Sierra Club, Nature Conservancy, WI DNR, US Dept. of Interior. just to mention a few.  But the most valuable resource to clean lakes is you.  Take responsibility for the stuff you drag to the beach.  In other words . . .

Pack out what you pack in.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment